A national women’s safety summit will be held in July, as governments and stakeholders work to shape the next national plan to reduce violence against women, ABC News reports.
Federal Minister for Women’s Safety Anne Ruston held a meeting with her state and territory counterparts last week before announcing the summit would be held on July 29 and 30 this year.
“As part of that summit we’ll be looking at a number of issues that we need to inform the next plan,” she said.
“And making sure that we get as many people together, as many stakeholders, so that the next plan is informed by voices of all Australians.”
The current 12-year National Plan to Reduce Violence against Women and their Children expires next year.
Senator Ruston said the safety summit would focus on the next stage of the blueprint, rather than broader issues affecting women, as called for by Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk.
“I actually think the time is now right for our country to have a national women’s summit to look at gender inequality,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
“To look at economic inequality, to look at action to address the gender pay gap, actions to address the superannuation gap, addressing issues of affordable childcare.”
However, Senator Ruston said the summit would be focussed around a “single goal”.
“The scope of the summit is obviously something that we will be in consultation with the state and the territories over coming months,” she said.
“But it’s very focused around women’s safety, and making sure that we have the best possible information base to be able to inform the next plan.”
The federal government will also fund a $10 million package to assist women on temporary visas, who are experiencing domestic and family violence, access financial and legal support.